Monday, January 26, 2015

Newsletter February 2015

Many years ago I was a guest speaker at the West Jordan City Biggest Loser Contest, I was asked to speak on nutrition. While explaining to the class that the USDA Food pyramid is not a healthy way to eat, and that it will not help you lose weight, a lady interrupt me. She introduced herself as a nurse and she was obviously upset that I was challenging her ideas of correct eating. She and her friend walked out of the class. I still standby the correct basic eating principles and I would like to share it with you. This picture from Harvard is an example of a correct eating plate. It shows proper portions and describes the type of food that should fill that section. 

 When talking about the whole grain section I choose to say carbs. Why? Two reasons, our bodies use carbs as energy and it is not just whole grains that fill your carb quota for your meals. For example yams, potatoes, sweet potatoes and squash, are good carbs. I do not consider them to be a veggie. Basically if you eat a yam and a side of rice you have two carbs. You may notice that there is not a dairy section. In fact, under the water section it says limit milk and dairy. Some dairy goes under the protein section. Examples of this include cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and whey. The last and most important key to a healthy diet is to avoid sugars. If you notice that throughout your day you are craving sugar ask yourself have I had enough fruit today?

 We teach our kids that every plate and snack should have a protein, a good carb, a veggie or fruit, and some good fat, along with plenty of water for the day. We show them this picture as a easy way to manage portion sizes. I think of this picture in my head as I am fixing my plate. I encourage you to do the same. There is a lot of bad information out there. Don’t set yourself up for failure. If you have any questions please give me a call 801-569-1141.